This simple, creamy, vanilla ice cream base can be churned as is, for delicious, classic (yet low-calorie!) vanilla ice cream, or it can be used as a blank canvas to create a wide range of interesting flavors.
- Place all of the ingredients except for the egg yolks, into a saucepan and heat until the mixture is close to boiling, (but do not let it boil) then remove from the heat.
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and pour the cream mixture over them while whisking continuously.
- Return the mixture to the pan and heat over very low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture through a sieve or fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Cool the custard for at least four hours, or preferably overnight.
- Place the custard into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen (approximately 20 to 25 minutes).
- Scoop the ice cream into storage containers and immediately place them in the freezer for at least three hours before enjoying.
If you dont have an ice cream churner, try freezing the ice cream mixture in a large container. When the mixture is frozen, remove it from the freezer and leave out to thaw slightly for ten minutes, then, using a large knife, carefully chop it into small chunks and throw them into a food processor. Process the ice cream on high speed until it is smooth. Pack back into a storage container and freeze until ready to eat.
Flavor Variations (omit the vanilla bean and vanilla extract when adding additional flavors)
Chocolate Ice Cream 4.17 Net Carbs
Add 4 tablespoons of sifted unsweetened cocoa powder at stage one (for chocolate mint also add ¼ teaspoon peppermint oil)
Salted Caramel Ice Cream 3.67 Net Carbs
Caramelize the Sola Sweetener in the pan before adding the cream and milk which have been warmed, at stage one, add an additional ¼ teaspoon sea salt at stage one.
Irish Coffee Ice Cream 3.86 Net Carbs
Add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder at stage one and 2 ounces (55 ml) Irish whiskey at stage four.
Fruit Flavored Ice Cream 5.11 Net Carbs
Add 4 ounces (110 g) of any fruit puree such as blueberry, strawberry, black currant or raspberry at stage four.
Coconut Ice Cream 4.07 Net Carbs
Add one teaspoon natural coconut flavoring and ¼ cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut at stage four
Lemon or Orange Ice Cream 4.01 Net Carbs
Add the juice and zest of one lemon (or orange) and ½ teaspoon natural lemon oil (or orange oil) at stage four
Turkish Delight 4.02 Net Carbs
Add 1 teaspoon of rose water, ¼ cup (30 g) chopped pistachios at stage four
The possibilities are endless, experiment with your own flavors, just remember not to add too much more liquid to the mixture as this can affect the final texture of the ice cream.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 35 minutes (plus chilling and freezing)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy/double cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
- 2/3 cup (125 g) Sola® Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 small pinch salt
- 5 large, free-range egg yolks
- Calories (kcal) 310
- Fat (g) 29.57
- Protein (g) 3.16
- Carbohydrates (g) 23.21
- Dietary Fiber (g) 7.72
- Total Sugars (g) 1.62
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 11.88
- *Net carbs (g) 3.62