Salted Caramel Sauce
It is hard to believe that you can make a sugar-free caramel sauce that tastes virtually the same as a traditional one. This smooth, Sola-sweetened caramel can be a wonderful ingredient in other dessert recipes, or enjoy it as an ice cream topping or stirred into coffee. Try combining it with whipped cream to top a cake, or a hot chocolate!
- Place the cream in a saucepan over very low heat to warm through (for use in step 3).
- Sprinkle the sweetener into a large saucepan, place over medium heat, and allow the Sola two to three minutes to begin caramelizing. Give it a stir and keep cooking for up to five minutes until the color changes to an amber-brown and all of the crystals have dissolved.
- As soon as the mixture is amber-brown, turn the heat to low and add the warm cream while standing back from the stove. It will bubble up violently so give it a few seconds to settle, then whisk it to ensure the caramelized sweetener is dissolved into the cream. *Caramel can burn very quickly so have your cream ready to pour and do not walk away from the stove!
- Turn the heat back up a little bit and add the butter and a small pinch of salt. Continue to cook the mixture for another couple of minutes until it has thickened. It is done cooking when it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly before enjoying.
Be sure to use Sola sweetener to make this fantastic caramel sauce; other non-sugar sweeteners may not caramelize or produce the same results.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups (140 g) Sola sweetener
- ¾ cup (145 g) heavy/double cream
- ½ stick (55 g) unsalted butter
- 1 small pinch of sea salt
- Calories (kcal) 174
- Fat (g) 15.04
- Protein (g) 0.53
- Carbohydrates (g) 40.26
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.03
- Total Sugars (g) 0
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 40
- *Net carbs (g) 0.23