Sweet and Sour Sauce
This sauce is divine served with Chinese-style dishes and the Sola® saves oodles of calories and lends the perfect subtle sweetness.
- Slice the onion, place it into a saucepan with the garlic and olive oil, and cook over medium-low heat for approximately five minutes, until lightly golden-brown.
- Add the vinegar, water, red wine, tomato paste, Sola® sweetener, pineapple, and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and continue to cook (stirring regularly) for 25 minutes until the sauce has thickened and is rich in color.
- Whisk the cornstarch in and continue to cook for a couple of minutes until the mixture thickens slightly, then remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the sauce until smooth.
- Serve the sauce warm; it will thicken slightly as it cools.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Makes: approximately 8 servings
Prep time: 5minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- ¼ large white onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ½ cup (120 ml) red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups (285 g) Sola® sweetener
- 2 tablespoons fresh pineapple, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chili paste
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Calories (kcal) 61
- Fat (g) 0.04
- Protein (g) 0.47
- Carbohydrates (g) 38.01
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.49
- Total Sugars (g) 1.28
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 35.63
- *Net carbs (g) 1.90