Texas Bourbon BBQ Sauce
This sauce is legitimately Texan, as the recipe was developed in Houston, Texas. It would be shameful to be in Texas and not know how to make a good barbeque sauce, even if you follow a low-carb lifestyle! Smoked paprika lends a wonderful sweet and smoky flavor, which is a mouthwatering parity to the richness of the bourbon whiskey.
- Place the onions and garlic in a large saucepan with the olive oil and cook over medium-low for approximately five minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Add the bourbon and give it 30 seconds to warm through, then carefully set it on fire using the gas flame or a lighter. This step will burn off the alcohol but leave the delicious flavor of the bourbon. Stand as far back from the pan as possible while doing this because the flames can get quite high and you don’t want to burn your eyebrows off!
- Add the vinegar, water, red wine, tomato paste, Sola sweetener, and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and continue to cook (stirring regularly) for 25 minutes until the sauce has thickened and looks rich in color.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and use an immersion blender to purée the sauce until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
If you don’t have any bourbon, don’t worry; this recipe is still good without it.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Makes: 64 1-tablespoon servings or roughly one quart (960 ml)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup (240 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 cup (240 ml) red wine
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¾ cup (145 g) Sola sweetener
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon American-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Calories (kcal) 13
- Fat (g) 0.01
- Protein (g) 0.07
- Carbohydrates (g) 2.93
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.08
- Total Sugars (g) 0.17
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 2.27
- *Net carbs (g) 0.58