Vanilla Crème Brulée
Crème brulée is the quintessential French dessert; a creamy, baked, egg custard with a crisp, burnt sugar top. Like sugar, Sola® will caramelize under a blow torch or hot broiler; the layer wont be quite as thick and crispy as the sugar crust on a traditional crème brulée, but the caramelized flavor and texture is magnificent!
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C.
- Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan and scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean, then add the bean itself.
- Bring the cream mixture to the boiling point, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the Sola® and egg yolks together until combined.
- Pour the slightly cooled cream mixture over the egg yolks, whisking continuously until slightly thickened.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a glass measuring cup or mason jar (to remove the vanilla bean and any bits of egg that may have not been fully incorporated). Divide the cream mixture evenly between six medium-size ramekins, filling about two-thirds full.
- Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and pour in enough hot (but not boiling) water to come halfway up the outsides (this is called a bain-marie or water bath).
- Carefully place the bain-marie onto the center shelf of the oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the custards are just set but still have a slight wobble in the center. Remove the ramekins from the water and allow the crèmes to cool to room temperature before placing into the refrigerator. Chill for at least three hours or preferably overnight.
- When the custards are cold, sprinkle a teaspoon of Sola® on the top of each one and use a blow torch to melt and caramelize the tops, or place under a very hot broiler to caramelize. Serve immediately while the Sola® is still crispy!
Add the pulp from two large passion fruits and one teaspoon natural coconut extract at step 1. Top each chilled crème with one tablespoon shredded, unsweetened, toasted coconut.
Fill the bottom of each ramekin with three tablespoons of caramel sauce (see page ) and chill well before pouring in the crème mixture. Top each crème with one tablespoon chopped, roasted hazelnuts and some low-carb chocolate shavings.
Add four or five raspberries to each crème before baking and top with fresh raspberry purée and whipped cream.
Add two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder at step 2 and stir well until fully incorporated into the cream mixture. Top with low-carb chocolate shavings and fresh strawberries.
Add two tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and the zest of one orange at step 2 and stir well until fully incorporated into the cream mixture. Top with low-carb chocolate shavings and orange zest.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
- Calories (kcal) 456
- Fat (g) 44.66
- Protein (g) 5.63
- Carbohydrates (g) 28.25
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.05
- Total Sugars (g) 0.62
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 23.75
- *Net carbs (g) 4.45