FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How are Sola® products better for me?
We believe finding delicious alternatives to sugar and carb packed foods shouldn't be hard. So we've made a line of products we can proudly say taste great and keep your insulin response suppressed using our patent pending Sola® Sweetener. All of the benefits of cutting out sugar, without losing any of the flavor.
- Why do you have so many different products?
We believe we all need help in reducing sugar and highly processed carbohydrates in our diet. Even products claiming to be whole grain can have the same effect on the body as sugar. We recognize the need for real food options that people eat everyday. Chef Ryan and the Sola® team have developed over 300 recipes and multiple products that are all made without table sugar (sucrose) that are lower in net carbs versus the traditional full sugar products. These include yogurt, bread, ice cream, nut bars, granola and of course the Sola® sweetener.
- Is Sola® yogurt greek yogurt?
Pure milk and live cultures with the culinary expertise of Chef Ryan have created a wonderful tasting greek yogurt without all of the refined sugar. Many yogurts use names for sugar like "natural cane sugar", or "evaporated cane juice". Make no mistake, this is still sugar and causes both glucose spikes and insulin spikes in the body. Sola® yogurt tastes great and avoids the sugar spike and crash.
- Why does Sola® yogurt say 20 grams of carbs but only 6 grams net carbs?
Net carbs are calculated by subtracting dietary fiber, tagatose and sugar alcohols from total carbohydrates since they minimally affect blood sugar. Tagatose is a low glycemic sugar, which must be included in total sugars on the nutrition facts panel, however we call out the amount in each serving in the net carb calculation which can be found on each product.
- Why does Sola® greek yogurt taste so much better than ordinary greek yogurt?
The culinary skills of the Sola® team bring expertise in crafting great tasting products without all the added sugar (sucrose). Try Sola® for yourself and you be the judge!
- Can I mix Sola® greek yogurt with Sola® Granola and do you have more recipes?
Absolutely! We believe we have made huge steps forward in making this great breakfast item even better for you. With only about 8 grams net carbs you will quickly see the difference versus the many highly processed and high carbohydrate competitors in the marketplace. We have many wonderful recipe ideas so please see our recipe page.
- Is Sola® granola gluten free?
- Do the other Sola® products all have a low blood glucose response?
Yes! We have conducted third party independent clinical studies on all Sola® products to ensure we are delivering "better for you" products. Many food companies simply try and add an ingredient to deliver a marketing claim without truly understanding if it is actually better or not. Not Sola®. Our mission is to help our consumers lead healthy lifestyles and the food we eat everyday plays an important role in that effort.
- Does Sola® bread taste good and can I toast it?
Yes! Also be sure to try Chef Ryan's French Toast recipe. We love it!
- Does Sola® ice cream have any sugar in it?
Sola® ice cream has sugar in the lactose from the dairy ingredients, but we add no sucrose (table sugar). We do add tagatose which, according to the FDA, is a sugar but we know it does not cause a glucose or insulin response in the body. So you can deduct those carbohydrates from the total carb count and include them in the net carbs.
- What is Sola® Sweetener?
We started The Sola® Company because Chef Ryan Turner created the perfect sugar replacement that sweetens, measures, and bakes just like the ordinary sugar you’re used to. Sola® is a perfect blend of the best sweeteners that can be found in fruits, vegetables, and dairy. It tastes exactly like sugar, but with 75% fewer calories and 0 grams net carbs. Replacing sugar has never been so simple.
- What is the functionality of Sola® Sweetener?
Sola® Sweetener is a 1-to-1 replacement for sugar. It can brown and even caramelize just like sugar. When used in cooking and baking, you'll find that it performs just like sugar and has a predictable texture and consistency. Simply use Sola® in place of sugar and reduce your total calories from sugar (sucrose) by 75%, and carbohydrates by 100%.
Click here for recipes and cooking tips
- Are Sola® products low-carb?
Sola® Sweetener is a 0 grams net carb sweetener, using ingredients that minimally affect your blood sugar. Our delicious line of products have been formulated using our sweetener to keep the taste, without the table sugar and processed carbohydrates.
- How many calories are in Sola® Sweetener?
Sola® contains 75% fewer calories than sugar. One teaspoon serving of Sola® contains less than 4 calories when compared to regular table sugar which contains 16 calories per teaspoon.
- Why does the nutritional panel on Sola® Sweetener say 0 calories?
Because there are less than 4 calories per serving, the FDA considers this small amount as zero calories. One teaspoon serving of Sola® contains less than 4 calories as compared to regular table sugar which contains 16 calories per serving.
- Does Sola® Sweetener contain Sugar?
Sola® Sweetener has no sucrose, also known as regular table sugar. We use a blend of ingredients that include tagatose, which is a low glycemic sugar that doesn’t raise your blood sugar levels. According to the FDA – tagatose, found at low levels in dairy, must be labelled as a sugar although in reality, tagatose doesn’t behave like sugar in the body.
- Why should I choose Sola® Sweetener over other available sweeteners?
- According to comparative taste testing, consumers can’t tell the difference between Sola® Sweetener and regular table sugar.
- Our sweetener is low on the glycemic index: 4 compared to 65 with sugar.
- Our sweetener does not turn into glucose and fructose in the bloodstream.
- Our sweetener suppresses the releases of insulin in the body.
- Why is Sola® Sweetener more expensive than other sweeteners?
At Sola®, we believe that quality and taste are paramount. We strive to make our products from premium, high quality ingredients. Our guiding principles are quality and performance, and we are working on providing a premium product at an affordable price.
- Where is Sola® Sweetener produced?
Sola® is proudly manufactured in the United States.
- Are Sola® products and is Sola® Sweetener Kosher? What organization approved it?
Sola® is OU Kosher Parve.
- Are Sola® products and Sola® Sweetener gluten-free?
Sola® Sweetener is free from wheat gluten and is suitable for those with wheat-free diets and gluten intolerances and all Sola® products are gluten free except for Sola® bread. Sola® bread does contain gluten.
- What recipes do Sola® Sweetener work best in?
Use Sola® Sweetener in your favorite recipes where you would normally use sugar. You can find all our delicious recipes inspired by Sola® Sweetener on our website (link here).
- Will Sola® work well in all recipes?
While Sola® Sweetener bakes and browns just like sugar, there are some drawbacks in a few recipes where we do not recommend the use of Sola®.
- Crispy Meringue (Sola® Sweetener works great in soft meringues such as lemon meringue pie)
- How do I store Sola® Sweetener after opening it?
Keep Sola® in a cool, dry place. Sola® stores like sugar so it's best to keep it sealed in its original zipper bag or an airtight container. If clumping occurs, they can be broken up and the product is safe to use.
- Why did jam or sauce I made with Sola® Sweetener crystallize after a few days?
Erythritol, one of our ingredients, can crystallize after a few days in jams and sauces in high concentration, much like honey sometimes does. If something crystallizes, it can simply be warmed to dissolve the crystals.
- Is Sola® Sweetener an all-natural product?
All ingredients used in Sola® can be found in nature. For example, tagatose can be found at low levels in dairy products and erythritol can be found at low levels in watermelon and grapes. The tagatose and erythritol we use as an ingredient are highly purified and made by a proprietary manufacturing process. Sola® contains no artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose or saccharine.
- Does Sola® contain Aspartame, Sucralose, or Saccharine?
No. Sola® does not contain any of those ingredients.
- Is Sola® Sweetener vegetarian and vegan?
Sola® Sweetener is vegetarian, however it would not be considered vegan. Tagatose, one of our ingredients, is made using a whey from milk in a process removing all lactose from the final ingredient. Tagatose.
- How do I know Sola® Sweetener is safe? Is it FDA approved?
All ingredients used in Sola® Sweetener have been authorized by the FDA as GRAS (generally recognized as safe), and have been used throughout the world for years and decades as sweeteners.
- Does Sola® cause gastric distress, headaches/migraines, or nausea?
Sola® Sweetener is typically well tolerated, but as with most sugar alcohol based sweeteners, excessive consumption can cause gastric discomfort. We recommend serving sizes of less than 30 grams of Sola® Sweetener to minimize the risk of discomfort. We have had no reports of headaches or migraines being experienced from the consumption of Sola® Sweetener. We recommend using Sola® packets for highly sweetened beverages. 1 packet sweetens like 2 teaspoons of sugar.