Carolina BBQ Brisket Sandwich with Parmesan Onion RingsWhat a combination of flavors! Sweet and salty, spicy and tangy, this sandwich is a real winner and made with Sola sweetener BBQ sauce and Sola low-carb bread this sandwich is also better for you, without all the extra sugar and carbs. Carolina BBQ sauce is different from the richer darker varieties popular in the South as its made with a delicious tangy blend of yellow mustard and vinegar, this Carolina BBQ sauce is lighter, but still packs a delicious zesty punch of flavor.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
IngredientsFor the Carolina BBQ sauce
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or mild chili powder)
- ¼ stick (30 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (240ml) prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup (190g) Sola® sweetener
- 1 cup (240ml) Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- ¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the Slow Roasted Brisket
- 2 pounds (900g) beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons Sola® sweetener
- 1 medium white onion (roughly chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 inches of fresh ginger (roughly chopped)
- 2 star anise
For the Onion Rings
- 1 medium white onion
- 3 free range eggs
- 1 cup (120g) finely ground almond flour
- 1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or oil of your choice)
For the Sandwich
- 12 slices of Sola low-carb bread
- 2 jalapenos (deseeded and sliced)
- 24 dill pickle slices
- 12 slices cheese of your choice (I like pepper jack for a spicy kick)
- Firstly prepare the brisket, this can be done several days in advance and stored in the fridge until needed. Set the oven to 400F/200c, mix together all of the dry ingredients together and rub into the brisket. Place the onion, garlic, ginger and star anise in the bottom of a deep sided baking pan and place the brisket on top. Cover the baking pan with foil and place into the oven to cook for 4 hours, basting with its juices once an hour.
- Once cooked, remove the brisket from the pan and discard the onions, ginger, garlic and star anise, chill the brisket thoroughly for easy slicing.
- Next, make the BBQ sauce, place the onions and garlic in a large saucepan with the butter and cook over medium-low for approximately five minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well until well combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and the reduce the heat to a slow simmer and continue to cook (stirring regularly) for 25 minutes until the sauce has thickened and looks rich in color.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and use an immersion blender to purée the sauce until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- To make the onion rings, firstly set the oven to 350F/180c.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, and in a separate bowl mix together the almond flour and parmesan cheese.
- Peel the onion and slice into ½ inch slices discarding the inner part of the onion, so that you have large onion rings. Dip the onion rings into the beaten egg and then into the almond flour and parmesan mixture to coat, repeat this step to get a nice coating and place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Drizzle with avocado oil and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Slice the brisket and place onto a baking tray, pour over half the BBQ sauce (keep the rest for another recipe) and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes at the same time as the onion rings.
- 11. To build the sandwiches toast the Sola bread and stack on the brisket, cheese, onion rings, pickles and a few slices of jalapeno, serve with the crispy onion rings and a chilled low-carb beer!
Stay in Touch
Be the first to know about new coupons!