Chocolate Buttercream FrostingIf you are lucky enough to own a very high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, simply blend some granulated Sola® until it resembles powdered sugar. With the resulting powdered Sola®, you can make buttercream frosting using any standard recipe, simply replacing the powdered sugar with powdered Sola®. For the majority of us who don’t own a Vitamix, the clever technique described below results in smooth, fluffy, buttercream frosting.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: Frosting for 8 cupcakes or 1 medium-size cake
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus chilling)
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup (190 g) Sola sweetener
- 1 ½ sticks (170 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (30 g) good-quality, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 small pinch salt
- Bring all of the ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for one minute, stirring constantly, until all of the sweetener has dissolved and the mixture is emulsified.
- Pour the mixture into a clean mixing bowl and allow it to cool slightly. Place the bowl into the refrigerator for several hours until set. If you are rushed for time, place the bowl in the freezer to speed the cooling process.
- When ready to use, the mixture should be firm and cold. Scoop the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or use an electric hand whisk).
- Set the machine to medium speed, beat for one minute, then increase the speed to high and continue to whisk for about five minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. It will transform from a thick pudding-like texture into a traditional-looking buttercream frosting.
Stay in Touch
Be the first to know about new coupons!