Chocolate Waffles with Candied Bacon and Chocolate SauceLow carb chocolate almond waffles are perfect for celebrations, and this recipe is a sensational Mother’s Day breakfast treat that is guaranteed to please and let her know you love her!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
IngredientsFor the Waffle Batter
- 1 ¼ cups (120 g) finely-ground almond flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup (95 g) Sola® sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 free-range eggs
- 4 ounces (110 g) full fat cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ stick (30 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
For the Chocolate Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ¾ cup (180 ml) heavy/double cream
- ¼ cup (50 g) Sola sweetener
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the Candied Bacon
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons sola sweetener
- Fresh raspberries and unsweetened whipped cream to garnish if desired.
DirectionsFirstly, make the chocolate sauce
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce is smooth and glossy and has thickened up.
For the Candied Bacon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180c
- Place the bacon slices onto a baking sheet lined with foil, and place into the oven cook for 15 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and pat dry with paper towels, replace the foil with fresh foil and place the bacon slices back onto the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle over the sola sweetener and place back into the oven to bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes until crispy and caramelized, remove from the pan and allow to cool before serving.
For the Waffles
- Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Mix well, preferably with an electric mixer, which will help incorporate more air bubbles. You should have a batter with quite a thick consistency (it will look and feel far thicker than a conventional pancake batter). Don’t be alarmed and don’t add any extra liquid!
- Set your waffle machine on its lowest heat setting and brush liberally with melted butter.
- Place a half a cup of the pancake batter for each waffle into the center of the waffle iron and close the lid, it will spread out as it cooks. Cook for about 2 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked through, carefully remove from the machine, these waffles are more delicate than typical flour-based waffles.
- Brush with extra melted butter and place onto a serving plate, spoon over the chocolate sauce and top with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
Stay in Touch
Be the first to know about new coupons!