Crumble-topped Apple-Flaxseed Breakfast MuffinsSola® Sweet and moist flaxseed and apple muffins are a delicious reduced sugar option which make for a satisfying breakfast treat!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 16 cupcake sized muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 ¾ cups (270 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (20 g) golden flaxseed meal
- 1 ½ cups (285 g) Sola® sweetener
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 extra-large, free-range eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 1 stick (110 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ stick (30 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup (40 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) Sola® sweetener
- 1 tablespoon whole flaxseeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Line an eight-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk, then add to the dry ingredients, with the softened butter.
- Using the stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients together for one to two minutes until light and fluffy. Stir in the diced apple.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake liners and place the pan in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, make the crumble topping: add all topping ingredients to a small bowl and blend together with your hands until the texture is that of coarse breadcrumbs.
- After 15 minutes, pull the oven rack out slightly and quickly sprinkle an even amount of crumble topping and a few flaxseeds over each muffin, without taking the pan out of the oven.
- Rotate the muffin pan and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, until risen, golden-brown, and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool slightly before serving.