Low-Carb Pecan Pie CheesecakeThe best of 2 desserts combined into one dreamy holiday dinner finale; meet pecan pie-cheesecake. It takes a bit of time, but it is well worth it; a buttery, flaky crust is filled with a gooey, fudgy, pecan filling and then topped with a layer of baked New York-style cheesecake. Top with extra whipped cream and pecans for a special touch.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 14 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
1 ½ cups (165 g) finely ground almond flour
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons (70 g) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Pecan Pie Filling
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (150 ml) water
1 ¼ teaspoons (3.5 g) powdered gelatin
1 cup (190 g) Sola sweetener
1 ½ sticks (170 g) unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon maple extract
1 tablespoon molasses (optional; this does add a small amount of sugar but also adds exceptional flavor)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Additional filling mixture
2 whole, free-range eggs
2 free-range egg yolks
1 cup (110 g) chopped pecans
14 ounces (400 g) full-fat cream cheese, softened
¼ cup (110 g) full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
½ cup (90 g) Sola sweetener
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 9-inch, round, springform cheesecake pan with butter, and line with parchment paper.
2. Make the crust: place the almond flour, arrowroot, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until combined. Add the cold, cubed butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles pea-size crumbs. Add the egg white-water mixture and continue to pulse until you have a smooth batter.
3. Spread the soft crust dough into the prepared pan, making sure to cover the bottom and sides. Use a spoon to smooth out the mixture. Place the crust into the oven and bake for 10 minutes to seal. If you would like you can level out the top of the crust by using a small knife to cut around the top, or just leave it for a more rustic look.
4. Make the pecan pie filling: prepare the syrup by placing the water into a saucepan and sprinkling the gelatin on top. Let rest for 5 minutes for the gelatin to soften and bloom. Add the remaining syrup ingredients, place the pan over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a steady simmer. Stir constantly until the ingredients are combined. Cook the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes until syrupy and glossy.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the contents into a large mixing bowl. Cool the syrup for 20 minutes, then add the whole eggs, egg yolks, and chopped pecans. Whisk thoroughly and pour into the pie crust.
6. Place the pie into the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes. If the filling is no longer runny and has a slight wobble when the pan is shaken, it is ready. If the mixture is still runny in the center, continue baking, checking every 5 minutes until the pie is cooked. Cool slightly before pouring the cheesecake filling on top.
7. Make the cheesecake filling: place the softened cream cheese, sour cream, and sola sweetener into the bowl of a stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to beat the mixture until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and sprinkle over the xanthan gum, beat again until smooth, and pass through a sieve to remove any lumps of cream cheese that weren’t incorporated into the mixture.
8. Pour the filling over the pecan pie and wrap the top of the pan with foil, so that the pastry doesn’t burn while your cheesecake layer cooks.
9. Place the assembled cake into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this process. When the cheesecake is done it should have a very slight wobble when shaken, yet not appear runny in the middle.
10. Remove the cake from the oven and cool at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours.
11. Serve with whipped cream and chopped pecans for a truly spectacular dessert.