Reduced-Carb Blueberry PieDue to blueberries containing natural sugars that concentrate when made into a pie filling, as well as a small amount of cornstarch as a thickener, this recipe is considered reduced-carb, rather than low-carb. If you are looking for a pie with a lower carb count, try filling this pie crust with our pumpkin pie filling recipe, or bake it blind and fill with whipped cream and fresh berries.
See “Low-Carb Pie Crust” for a description of this delicious, flaky, low-maintenance crust.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 12 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes (plus chilling)
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups (285 g) finely ground almond flour
- 2 sticks (230 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup (56 g) low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Sola® sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds (900 g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (190 g) Sola® sweetener
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- Pinch salt
- Place all crust ingredients into a food processor, and process on full power for 1 minute until smooth. You should have a mixture that resembles thick cake batter. Divide the mixture into 2 parts.
- Form the top crust for the pie: place a rectangle of parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Trace the outline of a 9-inch pie dish onto the rectangle. Place half of the crust batter onto the parchment paper and use a spoon to spread it out to form a smooth, even layer, following the outline. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until needed.
- Line the 9-inch round pie dish with parchment paper and use a spoon to spread the remaining half of the batter into a pie crust.
- Place the dish in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling: place the blueberries and Sola® sweetener in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes (no extra water is required). Mix the cornstarch with the water until smooth, then add to the blueberry mixture while stirring vigorously. Continue to cook the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, until it has thickened.
- Remove the blueberry mixture from the pan, place into a mixing bowl, and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325F/165C.
- When you are ready to prepare the pie, remove the pie dish from the freezer and pour in the filling. Remove the pie crust top from the freezer, carefully peel away the parchment paper, and place the disc of dough on top of the filling with the smooth side facing up. Allow the crust to warm slightly, then press the 2 crusts together, crimp with a fork, and brush with egg wash.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until golden-brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool, then chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
Stay in Touch
Be the first to know about new coupons!