Salted Caramel, Espresso, and Bourbon MilkshakeThis adults-only milkshake is a delicious, after-dinner pick-me-up that won’t leave you in a sugar coma. The milkshakes are finished with a speedy homemade caramel sauce that is made in the microwave.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 4 Servings
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Ingredients3/4 pint Sola Vanilla bean Ice Cream
1 cup ice (small handful)
1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk
2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy cream
3 tablespoons Sola sweetener
¼ cup Bourbon Whiskey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 shots espresso, sweetened to taste with Sola sweetener, cooled
2 tablespoons Sola sweetener
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 pinch salt
- Make the caramel sauce: place the Sola sweetener and 1 tablespoon water into a microwavable mug, place the mug into the microwave, and cook on full-power for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is a golden-caramel color.
- Carefully remove the mug from the microwave (remember the caramelized Sola sweetener in the mug will be extremely hot; don’t be tempted to dip you finger in!) and stir in the cold butter. Place the cream in a separate microwaveable container and heat for 25 seconds.
- When the butter has melted into the caramel, add a pinch of salt and the warm cream. Stir well and set aside to cool.
- Make the milkshake: Place all of the milkshake ingredients aside from the espresso into a high-powered blender.
- Blend the milkshake on high speed for 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Pour the chilled espresso shots into the bottom of 4 glasses and pour the milkshake over. Top with whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel sauce, and a dusting of cocoa powder, and serve with straws.