Spicy Low-Carb Fried Chicken SandwichIf you're craving Popeye's spicy sandwich but want your own low-carb, keto friendly recipe. Then go ahead and try our most sought after SOLA dupe. Using pork rings to give it the satisfying crunch and our SOLA low-carb hamburgers, you'll be wanting NOT to share!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesPrep Time: 5 hours
Cook Time: 35 min
Servings: 4 Sandwiches
IngredientsFor the chicken marinade
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded out and cut in half
- 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1/3 cup of unflavored whey protein isolate
- 3 ounces of pork rinds
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. each Salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- ½ cup of Olive Oil based mayo
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup of Coconut oil (for frying)
- 4 Sola Buns
- Spicy Mayo
- Sliced Dill Pickles
- Place each chicken breast into a large Ziploc back and pound out then cut each breast in half crosswise to make 2 small pieces of chicken about the same size as the bun. Save one bag to reuse for marinating.
- Add all pieces of chicken breast to one of the bags you used to pound them out. Next add the buttermilk, hot sauce and salt and pepper to the bag and shake around till mixed. Place the bag into the fridge and marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Next prep the breading. Crush up your pork rinds in the food processor or by hand and mix with all other ingredients for the coating and set aside.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking everything together and place into a shallow bowl.
- Remove your chicken from the brine and pat dry. Place the chicken into the dry coating then into the egg wash and back into the dry coating making sure to cover both sides evenly.
- Place chicken on a plate and into the freezer for an hour to help the coating stay put. While the chicken is freezing, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove chicken from the freezer and set aside. Heat a skillet to a medium high heat and add coconut oil. Fry each side of chicken for about 2 min until golden brown the transfer to a grated rack on a baking sheet and place into the oven and cook for 20-30 min, until chicken reaches an internal temp of 160°F-165°F.
- While your chicken cooks make your spicy mayo by combining all ingredients into a bowl and mix well then set aside.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 2-5 min.
- Assembly your sandwich by toasting and buttering your Sola buns then add the spicy mayo to the top and bottom buns, next add your chicken breast and top with pickles and enjoy!