Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream BitesThis recipe may fondly remind you of the strawberry shortcake ice cream bars from the popsicle freezer in your childhood convenience store. A buttery cookie crust is topped with a layer of rich Sola Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, then a light and zesty strawberry sorbet, and another layer of ice cream. The bites are finished with a layer of cookie crumbs flavored with freeze-dried strawberries. This recipe is simple and yields 16 servings, so you’ll be able to keep plenty of them in the freezer to snack on anytime you need a cooling, sweet treat.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 16 Servings
Prep time: 1 hour plus freezing
Cooking time: 20 minutes
4 cups (450 g) finely ground almond flour
¼ cup (50 g) Sola sweetener
1 stick (110g) unsalted butter, cold, diced
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Sorbet Center
1 pound (450 g) fresh strawberries
1/3 cup (65 g) Sola sweetener
1/3 cup (160 ml) water
Ice Cream Layers
2 pints Sola Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
1/3 recipe shortcake crust
2 tablespoons freeze-dried strawberries, crushed into a powder
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 300F/150c.
2. Make the shortcake crust and crumble topping: Place the almond flour, Sola sweetener, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and use your hands to rub the ingredients together until you have what looks like course breadcrumbs (like a crumble topping).
3. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and press in 2/3 of the shortcake mixture (this is the crust). Crumble the remaining shortcake mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (this is the crumble topping).
4. Bake the crust for 20 minutes and bake the crumble topping for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
5. Remove the pans from the oven and allow to cool. Spread 1 pint of ice cream over the crust and place into the freezer.
6. Make the Strawberry Sorbet Center: Hull and slice the strawberries, place into a saucepan, add the water and Sola sweetener, and place over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a steady simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to purée the mixture until smooth, then cool to room temperature.
7. Once cooled, pour the strawberry mixture over the first layer of ice cream. Return the pan to the freezer until the strawberry layer is frozen.
8. Once the strawberry layer is frozen, spread the second pint of ice cream on top, and return to the freezer until frozen solid.
9. Make the topping: sprinkle half of the crumble topping crumbs over the ice cream, and mix the remaining crumbs with 2 tablespoons of powdered, freeze-dried strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberry crumbs over the first layer of crumbs. Press down firmly with your hands and return to the freezer until firm.
10. Remove the entire shortcake from the pan by warming the sides with a blowtorch or over the stove, ever so slightly. Slice into 4 rows vertically and 4 rows horizontally, to yield 16 squares.
11. Store the bites in the freezer in an airtight container until needed.