Sweet Pastry DoughThis buttery pie crust is a great go-to recipe for sweet desserts; easy to roll, reliable, and wonderfully versatile.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: Pastry for 1x 9-inch pie crust (8 servings)
Prep time: 5 minutes (plus chilling)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ cup (50 g) Sola® sweetener
- 1 ¼ sticks (140 g) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1 splash whole milk
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until a smooth dough is formed. If you do not have a food processor, use your hands to combine the cold butter with the flour and Sola® sweetener in a bowl.
- Add the egg and the milk and incorporate into a smooth dough.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough. Use for your favorite sweet pie recipes.
- To cook the pie crust without filling: roll out the dough and place into an ungreased glass or ceramic pie dish, prick the bottom with a fork several times and place into freezer for 30 minutes.
- Place a layer of parchment paper over the bottom of the pie crust, fill with uncooked rice, and bake at 350F/180C for 10 minutes.
- Remove the parchment and rice and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden-brown. Cool the crust completely before filling.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.