Valentine’s Creamy Chocolate Coconut MoussePut the perfect finishing touches on your special Valentine’s Day meal with creamy chocolate coconut mousse. This decadent treat is low carb and gluten-free. We offer a variety of suggested topping options to have fun building and personalizing your parfaits!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 40 min.
IngredientsChocolate coconut mousse:
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 cage-free egg yolk (whisked)
½ cup Sola sweetener
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract
4 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted (we used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder)
1 packet Knox gelatin
¼ cup water
1 cup heavy cream (to be whipped and incorporated the next day)
Toasted coconut chips (optional topping):
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
½ tablespoon Sola sweetener
DirectionsChocolate coconut mousse
1. Sprinkle gelatin packet over water and whisk with a fork until dissolved and lump-free. Set aside.
2. In small saucepan, combine coconut milk, whisked egg yolk, Sola sweetener and coconut oil . Whisk over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
3. While continuing to whisk, slowly add in cocoa powder and continue to mix over medium heat until lump-free.
4. Add gelatin and whisk in until completely dissolved and smooth.
5. Remove from heat and last add vanilla extract.
6. Pour mixture into a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap.
7. Allow to cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
8. The next day, remove plastic wrap and whip chocolate mixture on medium until smooth. Set aside.
9. Whip the heavy cream to medium peaks. Gently fold in half of the whipped cream into the chocolate.
10. Spoon into 6 serving dishes. Use the remaining whipped cream to garnish the mousse cups.
*Note: If residual lumps of undissolved cocoa powder remain in your cooked mousse mixture, pour through a fine sieve prior to cooling.
Toasted coconut chips
1. Preheat oven to 280 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toss together coconut chips, melted coconut oil and Sola sweetener in a bowl.
3. Pour an even layer onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes until golden color.
Topping ideas for building your mousse parfaits:
Sugar-free chocolate chips
Sola Chocolate Raspberry Granola or one of our other varieties