Lemon Meringue PieAhhh lemon meringue pie; so springy and refreshing… and normally so loaded with sugar and calories. This Sola version tastes identical to the traditional edition, yet packs a small fraction of those traditional calories!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 12 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups (240 g) Sola® sweetener
- 1/3 cup (50 g) cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) cold water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (120 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- Sola® sweet pastry dough
- 3 free-range egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup Sola® sweetener
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Prepare the sweet pastry dough according to recipe instructions and roll out into a 10-inch circle.
- Gently place the dough into an ungreased 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate and press firmly against the sides and bottom.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork several times and then place it into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Place a layer of parchment paper over the bottom of the pie crust, fill with uncooked rice, and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the parchment and rice and cook the crust for another 10 minutes, until golden brown, then let cool.
- Make the filling: Place all of the ingredients except for the egg yolks into a saucepan and mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking continuously, then cook for a further two minutes until the filling has thickened.
- Place the egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth, then pour the pie filling mixture over the egg yolks. Whisk the mixture thoroughly and pour into the cooked pie crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/165C.
- Make the meringue: Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use an electric hand mixer and a large bowl) and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the Sola® sweetener while the whisk is running and continue to mix until smooth and glossy. Add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until the meringue reaches soft peaks.
- Spoon the meringue mixture over the hot lemon pie filling, making sure it goes right up to the edges.
- Place the pie into the oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the top is a light golden-brown.
- Cool for at least an hour before enjoying, and store in the refrigerator.