Molten Lava Chocolate CakeNothing says I love you like this show-stopping chocolate lover’s dessert! Delve into a moist, chocolate cake exterior and out flows a luxurious, molten chocolate center. Pair these delectable cakes with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and fresh berries. Surprisingly, this special Valentines dessert is actually very easy to make; the only thing you really have to watch closely is the cooking time––too long and it will be normal chocolate cake, which is not a horrible thing either!
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 16 minutes
Ingredients1 stick (110 g) unsalted butter
6 ounces (170 g) sugar-free dark chocolate or high percentage dark chocolate such as 85% or 90%
2 free-range eggs
2 free-range egg yolks
1/3 cup (65 g) Sola sweetener
2 tablespoons finely ground almond flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
Cocoa powder dusting
Sola vanilla bean ice cream
Strawberries & Raspberries
4 (6-ounce) ramekins
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180c. Generously butter each ramekin and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder, give the ramekins a tap to remove the excess cocoa powder.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place into a glass or metal mixing bowl, add the butter, and place over a pan of lightly simmering water.
- In a separate bowl, mix the whole eggs, egg yolks, and Sola sweetener until combined. Add the almond flour, arrowroot powder, and salt, and set aside.
- Once the chocolate-butter mixture is melted, pour it into the egg mixture and whisk until smooth and glossy
- Divide the mixture between the 4 ramekins (a piping bag works well) and leave to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking.
- Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet and into the oven to bake for 16 minutes. When finished, the centers of the cakes should be slightly sunken and look a little wobbly when you shake the ramekin (this means the center is still liquid). If the center looks very loose/runny, keep cooking for another 1-3 minutes, checking every minute.
- Immediately Invert the ramekins onto plates and gently pull away the ramekin, which will release the lava cake onto the plate.
- Serve immediately with a dusting of cocoa powder, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream and fresh berries.
Lily’s No Sugar Added baking chocolate will not work with this recipe. Usually we recommend Lily’s as our favorite chocolate alternative, however, if used in this recipe the center will not be liquid. For this recipe, I would recommend sugar-free chocolate sweetened with maltitol, or use very high percentage chocolate such as 85% or 90% and add another tablespoon of sweetener to the mixture before pouring into ramekins and baking.
*39 is 16g for Sola sweetener and 23g for additional sugar alcohols from no added sugar dark chocolate used in the recipe.