Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken with VegetablesHere is a healthier version of the classic Chinese takeout favorite; this crispy, tangy chicken and vegetable dish makes a complete dinner when paired with some simple steamed rice.
*Net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and SOLA sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
ServesMakes: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups panko bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch slices
- 6 ounces (170 g) snow peas, halved
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Sola® sweet and sour sauce
- Preheat the oven to 380F/190C. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the chicken into large cubes and season with the salt and pepper. Dip the cubes of chicken into the beaten eggs and then into the panko breadcrumbs (ensure they are well coated).
- Place the chunks of chicken onto the baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil over the top.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove and turn each piece of chicken over (to ensure an even, crispy coating).
- Return the pan to the oven and bake the chicken for a further 15 minutes.
- Heat the sesame oil in a saucepan over high heat, add the pepper slices, and cook for three to five minutes.
- When the pepper softens and browns slightly, add the snow peas and cook for one minute.
- Add the chicken cubes and the sweet and sour sauce and continue to cook for two minutes, stirring until all of the ingredients are piping hot.
- Serve immediately while the chicken is still crispy.
Steamed rice is an excellent accompaniment.